Environmental, Health and Safety Supervisor
Be an Active Part of Conservit’s Leadership Team! Full Time, Exempt Professional Position. Day Shift, predominantly Monday – Friday. Annual Merit Increases; Annual Bonuses; Minimal Travel; Insurance in 30 days for Professionals. Cell phone, laptop, and company credit card provided. Make your safety career with Conservit.
ConservIt, Inc., the Tri-State’s leader in ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metal recycling is seeking an Environmental Health and Safety Manager at it’s Hagerstown, MD location. With over 100 employees/owners throughout it’s three locations, ConservIt is 100% employee owned.
The EHS Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing the day to day implementation and continuous improvement of all company health, safety and environmental processes, as well as maintaining all state and federal reporting requirements; and communicating all Institute of Scrap Recycling Industry (ISRI) standards. Additionally, the EHS Supervisor will support operations managers with safety leadership, ongoing training and development and safety support in all areas and locations.
In order to perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Education and/ or Experience: BS or BA in Occupational Safety, Science, and Engineering or related discipline. Minimum five years safety supervisory experience required. Previous recycling, construction or manufacturing experience required.
- Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write and interpret in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Must have excellent communication and training skills. Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Physical Demands: “Moderate”: Exerting up to 50lbs of force occasionally, or up to 25lbs of force frequently, or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Requires six or more hours of intermittent standing or walking in an eight hour day. Sitting may be required intermittently and occasionally. Stooping and bending required frequently. Must be able to see, listen and respond to dangerous situations.
- Work Environment: Usually working outdoors with minimal work indoors or working in various weather conditions. Working frequently in close proximity to moving heavy equipment and traffic. Valid Driver’s License required. Weekly travel to nearby WV and PA locations required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support, develop, and provide employees, supervisors, and leadership team on safety requirements and best practices, inspiring performance and results.
- Assist in developing safety culture and strategy and facilitate collaboration among departments and lines of business company wide. Cultivate an environment that promotes “safety first” philosophy and positive morale.
- Implement safe working techniques and reinforce safety policies, procedures and best practices as set by ISRI (Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries), OSHA, DOT, EPA and all regulatory agencies.
- Represent the company in front of new hires, customers, industry, state and federal agencies, community stakeholders and media.
- Anticipates, identifies, evaluates and works to implement solutions to hazardous conditions and practices.
- Lead incident/accident investigation efforts and prepare detailed incident investigation reports on all incidents (first aid, near misses, property damage, environmental and worker injury/illness) with a focus on identifying root cause, trends and areas of improvement and putting effective measures in place to prevent reoccurrence.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining all environmental and regulatory records and reports. Monitors legislative changes and makes recommendations to leadership.
- Provides hands-on guidance to supervisors and employees regarding incident reporting/investigation program to ensure company standards and processes are met.
- Conducts new hire and employee safety training as required and necessary using appropriate training materials and technology, as well as run safety committees across all locations.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to provide health and well-being for employees, support for Workers’ Compensation cases and follow appropriate HIPAA laws.
- Understand company operational processes and strategies for receiving, processing, storing, and shipping.
- Directly and persuasively communicate Company safety updates and needs to the General Manager and Leadership Team.
- Participate in regular ISRI safety seminars and conferences.
- Oversees and maintains safety and DOT compliance for company trucking department.
- Wear proper safety equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.