Location: Hagerstown, MD
Type: Full time
Be an Active Part of Conservit’s Leadership Team! Full Time, Exempt Professional Position. Day Shift, predominantly Monday – Friday. Annual Merit Increases; Annual Bonuses; Insurance in 30 days for Professionals. Make your leadership career with Conservit.
ConservIt, Inc., the Tri-State’s leader in ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metal recycling is seeking a Transportation Manager at it’s Hagerstown, MD location. With over 100 employees/owners throughout it’s three locations, ConservIt is 100% employee owned.
The Transportation Manager is part of the Operations Team that will be responsible for day to day operations of shipping and receiving via truck and rail. This role is also responsible for effective collaboration with marketing, sales and operations.
In order to perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Education and/ or Experience: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), two to three years related experience, and/or training, or equivalent combination or education and experience in required. Five years supervisory experience required. Previous recycling or metals experience a plus.
- Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write and interpret in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Basic computer skills required. Valid Driver’s License required. CDL Class A a plus.
- Physical Demands: “Moderate”: Exerting up to 50lbs of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Requires six or more hours of sitting in an eight hour day. Intermittent standing or walking may be required occasionally. Stooping, climbing and bending required occasionally. Must be able to see, listen and respond to dangerous situations.
- Work Environment: Occasional work outdoors with frequent work indoors and working in various weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate with customers and external resources as needed. Ensure proper documentation is completed and noted in system.
- Manage in-bound and outbound shipments
- Dispatch for 8-12 subcontractors
- Meet performance expectations focusing on safety, quality and delivery.
- Prepare time schedules for pick-up and delivery
- Order trucks for material transport (domestic and export)
- Review log and mileage records for compliance
- Supervise drivers and work closely with Safety Manager/ GM to ensure DOT compliance
- Review and approve monthly freight bills, truck leases, equipment repairs for both trucking and rail
- Monitor and track daily the Conservit mobile truck and rail equipment
- Manages schedule changes (due to driver absences, business changes, and/or vehicle maintenance) and adjust assignments accordingly, communicating changes to appropriate staff.
- Provide dispatch/logistics support on evenings, weekends, managing emergencies and directing responses when needed.
- Coordinate vehicle maintenance with mechanics based on driver feedback and regular maintenance schedules
- Serve as a key point of contact for operational questions from other departments, sales representatives, drivers, yard operations, warehouse, on all delivery related inquiries.
- Contribute to, assist and attend driver and safety meetings.
- Assist in oversight of receipt and delivery of product in railcars
- Wear proper safety equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or designated manager.