Type: Full time
** This is a safety-sensitive position. **
Perform all tasks necessary to efficiently and safely operate a variety of heavy equipment used in the scrap metal yard, assist with maintenance and repair activities of equipment and perform a variety of tasks in the cleaning and upkeep of the yard.
In order to perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Education and/ or Experience: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), two to three years related experience, and/or training, or equivalent combination or education and experience required. Previous recycling or metals experience a plus.
- Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write and interpret in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Valid Driver’s License required.
- Physical Demands: “Heavy”: Exerting up to 100lbs of force occasionally, or up to 50lbs of force frequently, or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Requires six or more hours of sitting in an eight-hour day. Intermittent standing or walking may be required occasionally. Stooping and bending required occasionally. Must be able to see, listen and respond to dangerous situations.
- Work Environment: Usually working outdoors with occasional work indoors or working in various weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner. Lockout Tag out must be strictly followed.
- Operates equipment of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, metals, and materials.
- Operates construction equipment, such as skidsteer loader, material handler crane, track loader, wheel loader, backhoe, pettibone, dozer.
- Operates small equipment and tools to maintain equipment.
- Works with and assists yard crew in site housekeeping including shoveling and sweeping materials.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or repairs to the supervisor; cleans equipment.
- Communicate all mechanical and electrical issues to the supervisor and the maintenance department.
- Assist in the weekly cleanup of the shredder area.
- Wear proper safety equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or designated manager.