Burner/ Torch Cutter
Burner/ Torch Cutter
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Type: Full time
Day Shift, Monday – Friday, Pay Based on Experience, Minimum $19/hour.
ConservIt, Inc., the Tri-State’s leader in ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metal recycling is seeking Burners at it’s Hagerstown, MD location.
With over 100 employees/owners throughout it’s three locations, ConservIt is 100% employee owned. We offer competitive wages and great benefits including medical insurance, vacation and sick pay, uniforms, laundry service, bonus opportunities, Employee Stock Ownership Plan and more.
The Burner/Torch Cutter position is responsible for reducing the size of large metal pieces by using appropriate tools to cut them into smaller, more manageable sizes for processing.
In order to perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. In addition, must be able to satisfactorily pass a respiratory fit test. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Education and/ or Experience: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), five to eight years related experience, and/or training, or equivalent combination or education and experience required. Minimum 2-3 years experience in fabrication; tools, burning, required. Knowledge of industrial safety (OSHA and EPA regulations.) Previous recycling or metals experience a plus.
- Language and Communication Skills: Ability to read, write and interpret in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Valid Driver’s License required.
- Physical Demands: “Heavy”: Exerting up to 100lbs of force occasionally, or up to 50lbs of force frequently, or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Standing or walking required often. Stooping and bending required occasionally. Must be able to see, listen and respond to dangerous situations.
- Work Environment: Usually working outdoors with occasional work indoors or working in various weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses a cutting torch (gas or oxygen) or a plasma cutter to cut over-sized pieces of scrap metal into the designated size and shape for processing: Heavy Steel commodities needing cut include structural steel, heavy plate, random rail, heavy equipment, and heavy trucks.
- Inspects equipment before, during and after shift to ensure that all tools and equipment are operating properly.
- Maintains a safe work environment by ensuring work areas are clean and clear of any debris or hazardous conditions. Assist in the regular clean-up of the work area.
- Alerts manager to any issues with equipment.
- Provides backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
- Adheres to all safety policies and standards. Wears proper safety equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or designated manager.